Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Derek Jeter: Farewell to a Legend

As many have seen in recent sports headlines, Derek Jeter has played his last game in his prolific Major League career, concluding the end of an amazing era for the New York Yankees as well as Major League Baseball. As a Cleveland Indians fan, nothing got under my skin more than watching Jeter whoop up on my team and then giving that smirky smile while he was doing it. I hated Jeter for his outstanding play for so long, but as I grew older, I began to admire the guy. The way he carried himself on and off the field made Jeter the legend that he is, not to mention his near-flawless and God gifted baseball ability. Every baseball player wants to be like Derek Jeter. It doesn't matter what position you play, you're always trying to make that Jeter-esque play during batting practice. Watching Jeter's final game was a historical event in itself because I can say that I got to watch one of the best players in the history of baseball play. I spent my whole life watching him play, and it will honestly be a little weird not seeing him in a Yankee uniform next year. So thank you Derek Jeter, for all that you've given to baseball in your wonderful career.

"Heroes get remembered, but legends never die."
                                          -The Sandlot


(Photo courtesy of www.people.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment