Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Football Season Is Among Us

The fall semester can be an exciting time for many students. Friends are reunited while new friendships and relationships are being formed. New classes start, and students move one step closer to graduation. But, perhaps the best thing about fall semester to me is the start of football season. I am, unfortunately, a Cleveland Browns fan, filled with anxiety and letdown year after year for as long as I can remember. However, every season, Browns fans, like myself, are always filled with optimism: "This year is gonna be our year!" they always say, but year after year, that is never the case. By midseason, Browns fans are rooting against their favorite team in hopes that they lose out for the rest of the season and they lock in that number one pick in next year's NFL draft. This year, I find myself having a slightly better hope in the Browns than I have had in previous years and I really think they could make a splash this season. But, of course I say this every year, so why should this year be any different? Well, the Browns have hired a solid General Manager in Ray Farmer as well as an impressive Head Coach in Mike Pettine. In addition, they signed big names in free agency such as Carlos Dansby and Ben Tate that give the Browns the explosiveness that it lacked a season ago. Finally, they drafted perhaps the most prolific player in this years' draft, quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel to give their offense a spark. As a result, given all of the playmakers the Browns already have, as well as the ones acquired this offseason, there is no excuse to not succeed this season. But, like I said, they are the Browns, and anything is possible. I just hope this year they can finally win some games.

No comments:

Post a Comment